For both undergraduate and graduate students, the following links provide general financial information and resources:
UCLA Financial Aid Office
UCLA Scholarship Resource Center
Free Application for Federal Student Aid
Graduate Student Financial Support

The Department of Ethnomusicology offers scholarships to a limited number of incoming students. All Ethnomusicology Department scholarships are merit based and determined by performance ability, musicality and other demonstrated skills.

Generally, scholarships are awarded to top-ranked students following the audition process.  There is no form to fill out to be considered for departmental scholarships. All students who pass through the audition process will be considered.

The largest of these scholarships will fully cover the cost of California resident fees for the academic year.  These scholarships are renewable and are limited to a total of 4 years of support.

The Ethnomusicology Department hosts a limited number of scholarship competitions throughout the academic year for students currently enrolled in the major. These scholarships are one time awards that cover a portion of the student's fees. The level of support varies from year to year, depending on departmental resources. If selected for admission to the Ethnomusicology department, prospective students are eligible to compete for these scholarships upon enrollment at the university.

A small number of one-year fellowships are available to entering Ph.D. students. These typically cover fees, nonresident tuition (if applicable), and a stipend for living expenses. In the second year and until advancement to candidacy, all students judged by the faculty to be making good to excellent progress in the program receive financial support either from the department or other campus entities. Department support usually takes the form of teaching assistantships, research assistantships, or research fellowships that provide for fees and a salary (and fellowships to cover nonresident tuition, if applicable).

Financial support for fieldwork after advancement to candidacy is normally up to the student and secured through grants from university and external agencies. When the student and his/her advisor are reasonably certain that the dissertation is within one year of completion, the student may apply for a dissertation-year fellowship from the UCLA Graduate Division. Our students have been notably successful in receiving this type of support.

If you have any further questions about departmental financial support, please contact:
Undergraduate: Brenda Galvez,
Graduate: Sandra McKerroll,