Table of Contents


Scheduling of regular academic courses takes place between February and May of the preceding year. Scheduling of private lessons takes place during the summer of the preceding year.
For questions about departmental scheduling contact Donna Armstrong, 2539 SMB, 310-825-8381.
For classrooms scheduling requests (other than academic courses) go to:
For theater scheduling requests go to:


Your Bruin Card allows you access to all University libraries. See Bruin Card in Personnel & Benefits for further information.


Ethnomusicology Department faculty see Donna Armstrong, 2539 SMB, 310-825-8381. You will be sent an email which states the deadline for ordering textbooks. Please place your order as far in advance of the first day of class as possible to avoid problems.


Please contact the Music Library with your requests: 310-825-4882.   For additional information go to:


The Ethnomusicology Department requires all courses, except private lessons, to have a course website. (Go to Courses and click "Course webpages" to see examples). The department utlizes the UCLA course management system, known by some as "Moodle," but formally called "Common Collaborative Learning Environment" (CCLE).

We strongly encourage all ethnomusicology faculty to upload either your main syllabus or a simplified version on your course website.  CCLE now has special “user-friendly” method for uploading your syllabus. See instructions below.

Ethnomusicology Department TAs are trained to use CCLE to help faculty make use of the course website. If you need additional instructions or advice about the course webpages, you may contact Kathleen Hood, Publications Director and Events Coordinator, at or (310) 825-5947. We encourage you to meet with Kathleen near the start of the quarter in which you will be teaching to discuss issues relating to the course website and the Gradebook.


FIRST -- create a syllabus. (For information on the creation of a syllabus go to OID's "Course and Curriculum Planning." Note: make sure that your grading criteria, i.e., percentage of the final grade for each test, assignment, etc., is the same in both the syllabus and the Gradebook.

SECOND -- go to your course webpage by clicking Courses. Looking under the appropriate quarter, click "Course webpages," and then click your course number. 

THIRD -- upload your syllabus onto your course web page using the instructions below.

1: Click the “Log in” button in the center of the page (you can also log in from a link in the upper right-hand corner of the page).

2: Log in using your BOL id and password, just as with MyUCLA.

3: You will see a message that says “A syllabus has not been added. Do you want to add one now?  Click "YES."

(This is a new and user-friendly section, designed for adding syllabi).

4: You will see the Syllabus Manager, with options to add a syllabus or a restricted syllabus.

5:  Click “ADD Syllabus” (we want potential students to see the syllabus, so don’t restrict the syllabus to those already enrolled in the course).

6:  On the next page, click “ADD” (you can also drag and drop files).

7: Click “Choose File.”

8: Go to your Word documents.

9:  Click the document (syllabus) that you want to upload.

10:  Save as: (put in a title such as “Syllabus for ETHNOMU [YOUR COURSE NUMBER]”).

11: Author: (your name should already be there. If not, add it in).

12: Choose license: (since this is a syllabus that you created yourself, click “I OWN THE COPYRIGHT” in the drop-down menu).


14: Under Access, you can choose either UCLA community (login required) or General public (no login required).

15: If this is a “preview syllabus,” you might want to indicate such.

16: Display name: (you may leave the word “Syllabus” or you might want to put in “Syllabus for ETHNOMU [YOUR COURSE NUMBER]”).

17: Click “SAVE CHANGES.”

Of course, you can put up much more than the syllabus. Many faculty members, for example, post listening examples on their course website. If you have TAs, they can help you with this. You can also contact mailto: Kathleen Hood, 310-825-5947, for assistance.


Contact David Martinelli, Electronics Technician, B544 SMB, 310-206-3943, to schedule in-class video or audio recordings. Due to daily and special event commitments, he may not always be available. Please contact him two weeks prior to the date of the request to allow for confirmation.


Most of the classrooms and lecture halls in the Schoenberg Music Building are equipped with projector, mac-mini computer, laptop connectivity and media players (CD, DVD, BLU-RAY, VHS and TURNTABLE). The lecture halls also have microphones. For more information and technical orientation, contact Luis Henao , Director of Instructional and Music Technology. For immediate technical support during business hours, call: 310-06-0848.


The departmental copy machine in room 2539 is to be used only for administrative materials (including course syllabi and informational handouts) and research materials. Research materials will be charged to faculty research grants. THE COPIER MAY NOT BE USED FOR INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS. These include articles, books, chapters, and music scores to be used by students.

If your students need instructional materials other than conventional textbooks, the Academic Publishing Service, 2414 Ackerman Union, 2nd Floor, 825-2831, will help you provide them with readers which they can purchase from the bookstores for a reasonable price. You may also use off-campus venues to provide similar services; names and telephone numbers are available in the main office.

The department will make ONE (1) copy of course reader materials, up to 200 pages. Projects requiring more than 200 copies must be sent to the campus copy center and require at least two days notice. Please be aware that no University policy will permit faculty and staff to overlook copyright laws, whether the materials are produced on the office copier or by a professional service. A copy of the UC Policy on the Reproduction of Copyrighted Materials for Teaching and Research is available for your perusal in the main office.


The Mini-Grant Program, offered through the Office of Instructional Development (OID) will pay for honoraria to distinguished experts visiting undergraduate classes. Additional expenses, such as per diem, publicity, and travel costs are not included in this grant. $150.00 maximum per visiting speaker. All regular faculty are eligible to apply for mini-grants, as are teaching assistants with faculty approval. There is a $600.00 maximum per academic year.

Following are other appropriate uses of these funds, although faculty need not limit their requests to these uses:

Instructional Media – For renting or purchasing films, audiotapes, and videotape programs. All media requests must originate in the Instructional Media Library.

Field Trips – For defraying the cost of student transportation to field instruction sites within California.

Minor Projects – See Mini-Grant Program website for details.

Faculty may also apply for a grant of up to $500 through the R. U. Nelson Fund. Funds from this source may be used for lecture, master classes, and seminars only (not performances).

Please see Debbie Ruan, Financial Analyst, 310-825-1930 for assistance.

Note: Under federal law, the University of California may employ only individuals who are legally authorized to work in the United States. All non-U.S. citizens must complete a “Statement of Citizenship” form and provide a copy of their passport, green card or other documents qualifying them to receive payment. YOU MUST CHECK ELIGIBILITY BEFORE CONTRACTING A GUEST ARTIST. A NOTE ABOUT WITHHOLDING TAX: Please be aware that federal law requires that taxes be withheld from all income payments. The amount varies by country of citizenship

University policy stipulates that parking cannot be provided to anyone who is receiving remuneration of any kind.