* To acquire significant collections in the field of ethnomusicology.
* To preserve sound and audiovisual recordings in the field of ethnomusicology for future generations.
* To provide access to and delivery of information resources to UCLA faculty, students, and staff in support of the research and instructional mission of the University, the Herb Alpert School of Music and the Department of Ethnomusicology.
* To provide access to and delivery of information resources to researchers and community members.
* To develop, organize, and preserve collections for optimal use and provide links to remote information sources.
* To serve as the official repository for UCLA Department of Ethnomusicology audiovisual materials.
* To provide services to enable its users to fulfill their academic and intellectual needs. The Archive provides resources and services to non-UCLA users to the extent possible.
Relying on skilled faculty, staff, and students, the Archive encourages innovation, capitalizes on appropriate technologies, forges effective partnerships, and promotes excellence.